Things we can learn from dogs
I know this has circulated broadly over the internet but it’s really a great reminder about how we should live. For me, it’s up there with “Everything you need to know in life you learned in kindergarten.” If we do all these things, I think we’ll learn more and be happier!
- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
- Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
- When loved ones come home, run to greet them.
- When it’s in your best interest, practice obedience.
- Let others know when they’ve invaded your territory.
- Take naps and stretch before rising.
- Run, romp and play daily.
- Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
- Be loyal.
- Never pretend to be something you’re not.
- If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
- When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
- Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
- Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
- On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
- When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
- When you are scolded, don’t buy into the guilt thing and pout, run back and make friends.
- Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
- Remember, a dog wags its tail with its heart.
To the best of my knowledge, I think this was originated by Dave Winer, September 1997.
And here are a few more from Betty Lochner…
- Listen first. Listen with every bone in your body as if your next snack depends on it.
- Make a lot of noise when you need to. When you need to say something, say it.
- Say you’re sorry when you’ve done something bad. We all make mistakes, so just snuggle up and be cute and say you are truly sorry.
- Don’t bite people. Don’t be mean-spirited or sarcastic when you communicate. It will get you no respect and it’s not worth the consequences. You may even end up in a really bad place.
- Wag your tail. Show appreciation and gratitude to those around you. It’s a very powerful communication tool and works every time.
- Pay attention. Look some, sniff some, and watch some.
- Live a balanced life. Enjoy the simple things in life. Learn some and think some and sing and dance and play and work every day some!